Friday, April 29, 2016

Update: Life after PAO

I haven't posted on here in a very long time. I started this blog to help others going through the PAO process and dealing with the life changing condition, hip dysplasia. Since my last post I got into grad school to become an occupational therapist, got my hip story published in Onward!, and got engaged!! I've learned so much through everything that's happened. I didn't even know it was possible. I also had a really bad fall last year that affected my back and SI joint. Which ultimately affects my hips. But to get back on topic, let me share with you some of the things I've learned from dealing with hip dysplasia, a newly diagnosed connective tissue disorder, and chronic pain....

1. Even the most empathetic of individuals don't understand the intensity and struggle.
I am surrounded by the most incredible people, however, it's hard to understand the daily struggles unless you've truly been through it. My pains are "invisible" to many people. I always try to keep a smile on my face. I've come to accept my condition and all that comes with it. However, sometimes because of this, people don't understand the times that I need a little extra help or patience. I always try to keep a brave face. But like anyone dealing with this amount of pain consistently, sometimes my bravery isn't enough. And that's OK. It's OK to be vulnerable, emotional, and open. Give yourself time to do this for a moment, then get back out there and live. Live your life with the strengths you do have. Do the things that you CAN do. And when those people come along that try to understand but just aren't able to, help them by communicating how they can help, how they can be by your side, and how they can help you through the times when you can't do it alone.

2. The problem will always be with you and that's OK.
I was always in denial. Denial of the true nature of my problems. I thought, I'll be normal again, I just have to work hard. And then I didn't meet my expectations time and time again. Until I came to the conclusion, it's OK. It is what it is and it's me. I am still me. Even though it affects every aspect of my life, I can still live my life to the fullest. I can do all the occupations that are meaningful to me. It's a struggle but it's MY struggle. It makes me who I am. I'll never be "normal" again, but I'll always have the moments I persevered and overcame the hardships. I'll always have the times I found true friendships despite my disabilities. And I'll always have what makes me, me!

3. Balance of daily routines is vital to a successful and decreased pain level.
I've learned about  occupational balance (balance of occupations in your daily life) and have taken that to heart when finding ways to have a successful life. Ive found that balancing things throughout the day helps decrease my pain and symptoms. I can't sit, stand, walk, etc. for long periods of time. I have to balance these together and take breaks. This is the key. However, there are those times that it's not possible. For instance, I had to volunteer at an event where I stood for three hours. The night after.... WAS HELL. Luckily, my fiance knows how to help when it gets this bad. He massaged my back and helped me get to sleep. I don't know what I'd do without him! Having a support like that helps you stay balanced throughout the day because you always know they are there to catch you on the bad days.

4. Learn, learn, and then learn some more.
I've found that being educated about your condition helps your recovery and life overall. You can make informed decisions more accurately and change little things in your life that make all the difference. For instance, getting out of your car by pivoting, putting two feet on the ground, then standing up. Trust me... makes a big difference! Or learning correct body mechanics when doing daily activities to increase joint protection and energy conservation. I use these every day. Also, make sure to read upcoming research, treatments, and ideas out there. There's usually always something new you can try.

5. Learn to listen to your body.
Your body knows best. Respect your pain. Don't let it control you, but don't ignore it either. This is a fine line you have to dance on everyday day. Find your balance and when you fall, don't be afraid to get back up again.

Everyone has there problems in life. I've learned that this is mine. Despite its difficulties, these problems have made me a better person, OT, and partner. I'm able to be more empathetic and understanding with the people in my life. And I am grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment