Thursday, February 2, 2012

MRI Arthrogram

I was suppose to go in and get an MRI arthrogram done the other day. However, it had to be rescheduled. The doctor explained that because of my allergies he did not want to risk anything. I now have to schedule the procedure to be on a different day (almost a month away)!

On the bright side, I learned a lot when I initially went into have the arthrogram the first time. I was talking to the technicians while waiting for the doctor (there was an emergency case so the doctor was busy). I thought they would just have to inject me with the contrast and send me into the MRI. However, I was wrong. The procedure is much more intense than I thought. The contrast for the MRI is added into the stuff that they need for the arthrogram. The arthrogram is a way to see the "soft tissue structures of the joint, such as tendons, ligaments, muscles, cartilage, and your joint capsule. These structures are not seen on a plain X-ray without contrast material. A special type of X-ray, called flouroscopy, is used to take pictures of the joint." However, this is a very common procedure that the technicians do about 3 times a week. They made me feel a lot better about the whole thing and were very nice. I hope that I get them again the next time I go in. 

Overall, going in to this appointment made everything seem really real. So far the most I've gone through were MRI's. Thank god that I don't have to be awake when they do the actual surgery!

No comments:

Post a Comment