Saturday, May 19, 2012

DAY 1

The first day actually wasn't that bad. The epidural was working great! I barely had any pain in my hip. The only pain I had was from the incision. I wasn't allowed to eat anything other than clear liquids which was making me hungry. All I had was tea and broth.

The PT came for my first session. I sat up and got to the edge of the bed pretty easily. I felt good and then she had me stand up. As soon as I stood I got really light-headed and told her I had to sit down. The last thing I remember is her saying, "O.k. lets sit back and the bed". The next thing I know, I was lying down with the PT in my face saying my name over and over again. I was so confused. As soon as she said I passed out I remembered what was going on. I think this happened because of a few different things. I was dehydrated, I wasn't eating real foods, and I was lying down for almost 24 hours straight. My body just couldn't handle it. She gave me some exercises to do and said we would try again tomorrow.

They started me on real food finally after this. They realized that I needed the nutrition. I felt so much better once I started getting "real" food. I say "real" because the hospital food was probably the worst food I've had since I was in my middle school cafeteria. I try to eat as healthy as I can. This food was processed, dry, flavorless crap. However, I was so hungry I would eat anything. I also was thinking that I was already paying for this so I might as well eat it. I was very surprised how many calories they would let you eat. Before I choose my own meals, they gave me disgusting ones. For instance, for breakfast I had eggs, potatoes, canned fruit, bread, cereal, etc. and on top of that a Sara Lee doughnut type thing that was 450 calories!!! All together, that breakfast was way too much. Picking my own meals was much nicer.

Overall, Day 1 was a success. Family came in and out. Everything seemed to go by pretty quick. My favorite part of the day was when my sister came with my brother's present who lives in Texas. IT WAS A KINDLE! I love it!

1 comment: