Monday, May 21, 2012

Hal

I had my first PT appointment the day after I was discharged. My PT's name is Hal. I couldn't have a better home-based physical therapist. He knows so much about everything. He thinks on his feet and knows all the tricks. He can look around the apartment and come up with equipment out of household items. Here are some of his ideas:

  • Use a cookie sheet under the heel of your foot (on your bad leg) upside-down to reduce friction. Bend your leg up and down and much as you can. You can put a tissue under your heal also if there is still too much friction. This helps you use your muscle that our usually wouldn't be able to.
  • Homemade ankle weight: Put two soup cans in a long sock and tie it around your ankle.
  • Use a milk carton (or something the height of a milk carton) to help boost yourself up and the top of the stairs. This is helpful so when you are scooting yourself up the stairs, you aren't on the floor at the top. It gives you a little boost so that you can then boost yourself into a chair from there.
  • Use a leather belt and wrap it around your foot on your bad leg. Use this to help move your leg where you need it to go. 

Hal is great and makes me really want to do my exercises. He knows what exercises that help the most and I'm really seeing improvement fast!  He even personally got me a shower chair really cheap from someone he knows that owns a discount shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment