Saturday, May 19, 2012

Waking up...

Waking up from surgery...how can I explain this. It kind of felt like I passed out and didn't really know what happened. I couldn't see anything when I woke up. I had double vision and it was completely blurred. I could make out the outline of the nurse and could hear her talking to me. However, the epidural wasn't working. The pain was EXCRUCIATING! I couldn't move. I felt like I was paralyzed from the pain and all my muscles were tense. The nurse was talking me through it. If it wasn't for her being so awesome I don't know what I would have done. Finally, when the pain started to decrease I remembered where I was and that I just got out of surgery. I kept falling asleep and waking up again. I some how figured out the time and asked if I could watch the Indians game because I was really looking forward to being out of surgery before it started. However, that TV didn't get that channel. I was able to watch my other TV show Gossip Girl. Again, I kept falling asleep so I got bits and pieces of it.

My throat was also really dry waking up. It felt like I was dehydrated and slept with my mouth open. Which was pretty much what happened. The nurse gave me ice chips to suck on which really helped. They started to wheel me into my hospital room and told me my family was on the way up. It was around 9:00p when they finally got to see me for the first time. Of course, I have a huge family so they barely fit in the room. (I got the room to myself the entire time I was there!) They were very excited to see me and I actually felt pretty good considering I just had a major surgery. Everyone kept commenting that my hair looked awesome. This made me feel good because I was worried I was going to look like crap when I came out. My family was starting to get loud and they actually got kicked out. Visiting hours ended at 9p so they had to go. My boyfriend stayed over night with me because I was nervous. He wasn't allowed to stay in my room with me but he slept in the waiting room. The nurses were really nice and let him come in and visit every hour. They also gave him a pillow and blanket to sleep on.

The first night at the hospital I barely got any sleep. They had to wake me up every hour to check my vitals/ take blood. Unfortunately since I was so dehydrated, they couldn't get any blood. They kept poking me and blew all my good veins. This was bad because they had to take blood the next two nights as well. The first night they ended up taking blood out of my IV, which I guess was risky. The entire time I was there they kept having problems getting blood so my arm looks like a pin cushion! And its not over yet, I'm on a blood thinner now so I have to get blood drawn once a week! But I'll talk about that more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment