Monday, April 16, 2012

Blood Donation #1

This morning I had my first blood donation! Surgery is getting closer!
Unfortunately, I did not have the easiest time giving blood. The nurse (lets call her Nurse A) took 40 minutes to do the simplest of tasks like answer 5 health questions and fill out stickers for my samples. I should have known that this was going to be interesting.
I'll tell you all the "No No's" of taking someone's blood that Nurse A did not understand:
1. Wash your hands/change gloves after you wipe your nose with a disgusting used tissue from your pocket!
2. .... Or when you touch a garbage bag!
3. If you can't find someone's vein don't push in further and further and move it around until they bruise!
4. If you don't know what you are doing, act like you do! Don't frantically ask for other peoples help and then when no one comes to help say its fine you can do it... (yeah that made me feel good!)
5. Use basic knowledge of sanitizing/ cleanliness practices known by everyone!

A little over half way through the procedure, another nurse took over. Thank god! She was much better and seemed to know what she was doing. Unfortunately, I still almost passed out at the end. I lost all my color, couldn't think straight, and felt really light-headed. A different nurse got me an ice pack and helped me get back to normal. A procedure that I was told takes about 7-8 minutes took me around 20 minutes because of Nurse A. Right now I can barely move my arm (4 hours after the procedure) because of the pain. I think from the first nurse poking and moving the needle around so much, my arm is going to bruise like crazy!
I wrote a complaint to my chapter of the Red Cross about nurse A's cleanliness. I hope she is better with people in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment