Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Precious: My closest fellow Hip Chick

There has been one fellow Hip Chick that has been there, right beside me throughout the years. Her name is Precious. Precious is a 14 year old Yorkshire Terrier. She has been by my side her entire life. She too has hip dysplasia. When she was young, no one would have known. But just as mine had progressed to the point where I couldn't ignore it anymore, so has hers. I know this sounds ridiculous to compare yourself to a dog, but Precious is something special.

She was saved from a puppy mill where she was so ill she would have died. Our family nursed her back to health and her stomach has been controlling of her decisions ever since (she loves food!). Precious has started to show her age the past few years. Especially when it comes to her hips. She has a lot of trouble walking, standing, sitting, pretty much anything except laying down. But she's a trooper! I look to her for inspiration when I feel down in the dumps about my hip dysplasia. Precious always seems to just deal with it and get to where she needs to go even though it may take her a little bit longer than the others. She has fallen down steps (luckily not hurt at all!), had bad illnesses, and loss her companion, Chewy. But even though she has gone through so much, she still gives me a smile when I walk in the door. She comforts me when I am feeling down and is always there to make sure I give her a treat when she deserves one.

There has always been something special about my relationship with Precious. Something that I haven't had with any other animal that I have owned. And now I know what it is. We are both Hip Chicks. We both look at the positive in a situation and just work through the tough stuff because we know that there will be a positive reward at the end (for Precious, a treat!). She inspires me and I absolutely love her for it. Precious is the best Hip Chick that I have ever met.

No comments:

Post a Comment